Thursday 23 April 2015

Betsy and the toddler bed

If you read my post about how i had everything pinned on the big move, i am sure you are eagerly awaiting an update. Is she still in with us? Does she actually think our bedroom no longer exists? Do the neighbours hate us?

Well, here is where you will find your answers. 

The cot is history, instead we have converted it into it's cot bed form. I felt like the cot was the issue, i'm not too sure how i would feel about sleeping in what is effectively a cage to be honest. I felt like we both had too many negative associations with that thing. Even though the toddler bed is of course just the cot in disguise, i felt like was enough of a change to fool Betsy.

She seemed to like it when she saw it. We made a big thing about this being BETSY'S bed, etc. She climbed onto it and laid down and jumped about. 

The first night she went down like a dream. I couldn't believe it. Had her bottle and then climbed into bed without any fuss at all. It seemed too good to be true, and it was, though in fairness not necessarily down to her. I came down with a horrid sickness bug that first night, just after putting her down. She is going through a bit of a funny (bloody annoying) phase at the moment of only allowing me to put her down. If Ashley attempts to she goes wild. And she usually wakes up at around 9pm for a bit more milk. Which meant that as i had my head down the loo Ashley had to go into her, and I'm sure you can imagine what she though of that. There was no way he was going to be able to re settle her, so into our bed she went. Who knows how that first night may have gone if i hadn't of so selfishly became ill!

The second night she became ill. High temperature and an awful cough, just not herself. Really whiney and upset. She was beside herself when i tried to put her down, i knew she wasn't right so didn't push it. I still felt horrendous myself anyway. So she stayed in our bed. 

This continued for the next couple of nights. She had a nasty chest infection which we might have possibly caught earlier had there not been so much going on with moving house. She had had a cough all week and without us really realising she had gotten worse and worse. It was particularly bad in the evenings, she would cough and cough so much and get frustrated. She was so hoarse. I didn't mind having her in with us, i felt confident that once she was better she would go in her bed. 

Now she is better. And not much has changed. Put her down at 7pm, no problems. She then wakes up a couple of hours later for a bit more milk and just won't resettle. Or if she does, she is waking continuously, until i break and bring her in with me. Tuesday night i was determined not to give in, and lasted over two hours up until about 4.20am. But I'm just too bloody tired!

What baffles me is that she has been having her naps in her bed everyday absolutely fine...



We have a bit of an issue with her bottles at night too (yes i know she shouldn't be using bottles anymore, but she does). She still has her second bottle in the evening, usually 1.5-2 hours after bedtime, which i have been hoping will drop soon, but it hasn't. And since moving she has started waking in the night too for milk, something which i really struggle with as often she takes a while to settle back down. I don't know what to do about it. I have tried and tried to resettle her without milk but she just won't, she gets herself so worked up that its impossible to settle her. 


Nighttime from start to finish is all just a bit shit. I'm trying to remain optimistic by keeping my fingers crossed that either the issue sorts itself out, or some kind soul opens a boarding school for disobedient toddlers. 




Best of Worst

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the big bed Betsy! There's no way I'm giving Roscoe that kind of freedom, thinkI'll leave him in the cot until it's no longer viable. Well done on trying to stand your ground at night, I thiink I'd just bring him in from the off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Sorry accidentally pressed delete. Will try again).

    Night times are a nightmare here too. My 15 month old sleeps in a bed all night every night. My three year old however is a different kettle of fish altogether. I have given up fighting him now and he sleeps in my bed every night. But it's not forever, right? (Unhinged Mummy @ https://mummyunhinged.com )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going. The fact that she sleeps in it for nap times is a great start!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this about Elsa. She naps in her cot fine. She goes to sleep in her bed fine. She wakes up around 12 and won't settle until she comes in with me. It doesn't matter what I do she will not sleep through in her room! It's very frustrating. She still has her bedtime bottle too so don't feel bad about that. Ive heard people say that giving weetabix before bed helps if they are waking to feed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't envy your night times (that's not exactly a helpful comment is it?!). I remember a hellish time when my youngest was around 3 and was in and out of our bed all night. It was exhausting, so I do feel your pain. I hope things settle soon and you all get a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopped over from #bestandworst posts by the way!

      Delete
  7. Toddlers love to keep us on their toes don't they! Hopefully she'll feel better and get used to it soon. I've no idea when to move my 16 month old to a bed, I think he'd end up playing with his toys all night 😂. #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is tough going! My 21 month old is still in her cot - she usually sleeps through but I reckon as soon as we move to bed the fun will start. I think if I was you I would try the tough love but of course if it got that bad bring her in. It's that fine line between being stubborn and you getting enough sleep too!! Good luck though. Thanks so much for linking up to #bestandworst and please come back next week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless you!! Parenting is sooo hard. I didn't move our little boy into his big boy bed till he was 2 1/2 I kept putting it off and putting it off, was dreading it. What I can say (and I am no way a guru or anything) is that it (apparently) takes 3 days to break a habit which I know is a bit pants but if you can fight through it hopefully it will start getting better but god I do know what you're going through and will keep my fingers tightly crossed for you. Thanks so much for linking up to the first best and worst and hope to see you again next week.

    Helen - #bestandworst

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
    costco bed

    ReplyDelete